When you browse through the internet and visit different sites, your browser saves several contents and data in temporary storage. This temporary storage is called “cache”. To get rid of the fluff you should clear the cache from time to time. In the following step by step guides we will show you how to achieve that in the different browsers.
On a PC
1. Delete the browser cache with a shortcut.
The fastest way to get rid of the cache data in Google Chrome is the option “Clear Browser cache”. You can access this function with the following shortcut:
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. Be sure you press all the keys at once.
- A new window opens: “Clear Browser cache”.
- Here you can select in the upper dropdown-menu, for which time period you want to delete the cache data. You can select between “last hour”, “last day”, “last week”, “last four weeks” or “all”.
- If you want to delete all cache date, select “all”.
- Check the box in front of “Images and Files in Cache”.
- Submit your selection by clicking the “Delete Browser data” Button.
- Reload your site.
1. Fast delete with the keyboard shortcut
For deleting the browser cache with a shortcut in Firefox please follow these steps:
- Press following keys at once: [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. A Popup opens with the title “Clear recent history”.
- In the dropdown menu, you can define the time range you want to delete the cache. You have the following options: last hour, last two hours, last four hours, today or all.
- To delete all data, select “All” from the dropdown-menu…
- Afterwards, click on the arrow next to “Details” and toggle the different possibilities to chose which data should be deleted. If you want to delete only the cache, then only mark the checkbox next to “Cache”.
- With a click on the button “clear now” you delete the cache.
- Reload the site afterwards
Internet Explorer 11
1. Clear the cache with a keyboard shortcut
- Press the [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del] Key together. A Popup-Window opens. “Delete browser history”.
- Remove all checks except the selection “Temporary Internet files and website files”.
- Click on the Button “Delete” to empty the browser cache. In comparsion to other browsers there is no option to select the time period. You’ll delete all cache data.
- Reload the page.
1. Clear browser data in Microsoft Edge with the keyboard shortcut.
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del].
- A new Window opens. Select the option “temporary services and files”.
- Confirm your selection by clicking on the “delete” button.
On a Mac
Apple makes it easy: Deleting Safari’s Browser cache through a keyboard shortcut.
The fastest way to clear your cache is to use following shortcut: [CMD] + [ALT] + [E].
1. Using the keyboard-shortcut
- Press the keys [shift] + [cmd] + [del].
- A new browser tab with a popup window opens. In the drop-down menu at the top, you can select which time range you want to delete the cache. You can select from the following options: past hour, past day, past week, last 4 weeks, the beginning of time. If you want to delete all the cache data select “the beginning of time”.
- Enable the checkbox “Cached images and files”.
- Click on the button “Clear Browsing data” and reload the website.
- In the main menu of the browser select “History” and below that the submenu-item “Clear Recent History…”
- A popup opens. In the drop-down menu, you can define the time range you want to delete the cache. You have the following options: last hour, last two hours, last four hours, today or Everything.
- To delete all cache data, select “Everything” from the drop-down menu.
- Afterwards, click on the arrow next to “Details” to show the different possibilities for which data should be deleted. If you want to delete only the cache, then check only the checkbox next to “Cache”.
- With a click on the button “Clear now” you delete the cache.
- Reload the site afterwards.
For more info about clearing your cache and what it means, click here.